|Featured Article |
This article was the Featured Article of the Month, meaning it is one of the best articles on the wiki!
|The Wonderful World of Mixels|
|Original Airdate|| Throughout December 2015 (individual parts)|
December 23, 2015 (full documentary)
|Characters||See People Involved|
Welcome to the wonderful World of MIXELS! Builders at The LEGO® Group and the creative team at Cartoon Network pull back the curtain give us the inside scoop on the wonderful world of MIXELS. A fun group of wacky, colorful characters who can be broken up and mixed into other characters, each with its own unique personality and special abilities.
|Part 1 - The World of Mixels||12/9/15 (website)|
|The concept of Mixels is explained in detail for unaware viewers, to lead into the other chapters.|
|Part 2 - The History of Mixels||12/11/15 (website)|
|Cartoon Network executives visited LEGO's Concept Lab and saw prototype Mixels, at the time called Hungry Monsters. They suggested a partnership and both companies got to work, having meetings and developing the franchise together.|
|Part 3 - The Toy Design of Mixels||12/16/15 (YouTube)|
|LEGO designers create sketch models of new sets, have kids test them, and after that build the final versions. They are then digitally sent off to a different department, where instructions are made.|
|Part 4 - The Animation of Mixels||12/17/15 (website)|
|The team at Cartoon Network animates the next episode. Miranda Dressler and Timothy Barnes speak about their jobs (character design and art direction, respectively).|
|Part 5 - The Voice of Mixels||12/18/15 (website)|
|The voiceover session of A Quest for the Lost Mixamajig is seen. Later, everyone discusses the potential of Mixels in the future, due to 2016 taking place in Mixopolis.|
For a full transcript of "The Wonderful World of Mixels", click here.
In order of appearance.
- Camilla Haahr - LEGO Marketing Manager
- Andrew Seenan - LEGO Design Manager
- Jordan Reichek - Supervising Producer, Cartoon Network
- Michael Diederich - Storyboard Artist, Cartoon Network
- Rob Sorcher - Chief Content Officer, Cartoon Network
- Anne-Marie Andersen - LEGO Building Instruction
- Miranda Dressler - Character Designer, Cartoon Network
- Tim Barnes - Art Director, Cartoon Network
Daran Norris is uncredited, but footage of him recording is seen in the documentary as well.
- The project came about due to a funded pitch.
- The documentary was pitched from May 13 to May 20, 2015, and immediately after being accepted, was in production from May 27 to August 4, 2015.
- Notable sneak peeks of 2016 content:
- A designer is seen making a 3D model of LEGO Kuffs on a computer.
- Miranda is seen drawing the Medix on a computer.
- Behind Andy, there is concept art of Mixopolis.
- Behind Michael, there is a drawing of Paladum on a computer and background Mixels on a poster.
- Storyboards from Every Knight Has Its Day appear.
- Miranda is seen drawing Paladum on a computer.
- Designers are seen building the MCPD.
- Files of the Series 7 Mixes, Maxes and Murps appear on a computer.
- Scenes from the Mixels Main Title of season one, Changing a Light Bulb, Another Nixel, Epic Comedy Adventure, Hamlogna Conveyor Belt Madness, Electrorock, Mixel Moon Madness and Calling All Mixels cutscenes are used.
- A Quest for the Lost Mixamajig scenes also appear on screens in the background of some shots, along with previews of it being worked on in the documentary.
- Chapter 3 was released on YouTube before being released on the LEGO website.
- According to Chapter 2, the original Mixels concept was called Hungry Monsters, even though prototypes simply called Monsters have been found online. It is possible that "Hungry Monsters" may have been incorrectly stated from memory, or that "Monsters" was an alternative name for the pitch.
- Chapter 5 was accidentally released with Chapter 1's video. However, the file for Chapter 5 was still found in the website. This was fixed the following day.
- In the compiled version, several transitions from part-to-part are slightly glitched, sometimes repeating a blip of audio from the end of the preceding video.
- Main article: The Wonderful World of Mixels/Gallery
Sources and References
Season 2 (Series 4-9)